Thursday, January 13, 2011

The hard part

There is a lot that I don't like about looking for a job, but also a lot that I like about it. I just need to get it off my chest. I can't stand that every place you apply requires you to fill out this tedious form that requires that you input your work history and job history into a form. Then they have the nerve to ask for my resume. Do they not know that all that information is on my resume? Thanks, I feel a lot better now and I'll stop complaining about the mundane things that I just don't like doing.

What I love about looking for a job is the opportunity to dream about a new future. Dream about a new direction in life and dream of great outcomes. That brings me to another part that is difficult. It's not that I don't like this aspect, it's just that it's a challenge. I struggle to think of choosing between jobs. (See, I like to dream... I dream of multiple job offers... I dream of employers fighting over me as if I was the solution to all of their problems.)

I have my first interview next week. In many aspects it's a dream job. It is a temporary position for 2 years, working on a grant to promote cycling as a form of transportation. It's a project manager type position. I would be teaching bike safety, building collaborations with other community members and working to promote cycling. I think it would be an awesome job. The pay is reasonable, except the job is in downtown Seattle. Seattle is a great city and I think that I would like the cultural opportunities for me and the kids. I would also like being involved with the cycling community. I just know that living in Seattle is expensive and while this job pays more than I previously made, I didn't used to live in Seattle.

But then I think of the other jobs that I've applied for. While I think that the job in Seattle is something I would enjoy, I don't know that it is the right step for my career. I've never done anything (career wise) in cycling. Would it be like a 2 year hiatus from my area of focus or would it provide me with new and improved skills that would expand my opportunities. I wonder.

The jobs that I've applied for with the state government, Universities or Kaiser seem to be better steps for my career. They would better put to use my knowledge of human physiology and nutrition and I think they would better prepare me for more health promotion/public health type jobs. And I think that is the direction I would like to go. These are the jobs I have been preparing for with my education and career experience. They are dream jobs, but not in my favorite hobby that I've been passionate about for years.

And then there is the pay. Some of the other jobs that I applied for pay more than the job in Seattle (some pay 70% more), and they are located in areas where the cost of living is lower than it is in Seattle. One of our goals is to be free of all debt, and that wouldn't be possible in Seattle and it might be with some of the other jobs that I applied for. When I look at it with some of my bigger picture goals and longer term goals, I seem to feel that the Seattle job is less than perfect (although still very close to my dream job in many ways).

Here comes the real hard part. If I were offered a job in Seattle, would I take it? Is it really the best opportunity? Or would it be the only position that would even offer me a job (or an interview)? All the excitement, and all the worry all rolled up into one. I'm excited to see where I end up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you want to explore YMCA opportunities in the area.
Tom Blackman

Dan Salyer said...

Great to keep hearing of your adventures and pursuits. Keep posting and GOOD LUCK. The whole class misses you.
Dan Salyer

Emily A. said...

I just want to make you aware...just incase you aren't, that there are many public transportation options available so you don't have to live in Seattle. My brother rides the train or bus from Tacoma to Seattle every day. Living in Seattle is far more expensive than say..Tacoma, Puyallup, or Sumner...I am sure you already know this..but I wanted to make sure you don't pass up your dream job just because you think you will have to live in Seattle.

Good luck G! I am really excited for you.

And my two cents is...follow your dreams...and take the first job offer. It doesn't mean you can't quit and move to something else if a better offer comes up. Nobody said you have to quit looking once you start working. :D

Emily A. said...

Geez I sound bossy. Dude...I know you are smart. I'm trying to help...but I think I sound snotty. Sorry Garrett. I haven't figured out how to sound helpful rather than condescending. I don't want to sound condescending EVER. *whimper

Bri-onic Man said...

One vote for "get out of debt" . . . can you tell I've been living with it for a while? We're steadily getting rid of it, though! Can't come soon enough . . .