Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lost

The phone call came yesterday. I lost the competition. I didn't get the job at the Bike Alliance. I am OK with that. I have a bunch of other solid applications in that should start interviewing next week or the week after. There were a lot of things that I was skeptical about with the Bike Alliance job so that it just didn't feel right and I really felt that if I did get that job, I would turn it down.

No need to turn it down, I didn't get it.

As I apply for jobs, I find it interesting the level of effort I put into different applications. I put a lot of effort into the Bike Alliance job because it was a very desirable job for me. I have also applied for jobs that seem like something that I might enjoy, but they just aren't worth putting a bunch of time into. So I don't. Yesterday I received a call to tell me I didn't get the Bike Alliance job, I also received emails that said I did not get two other jobs. One was doing asthma prevention with the city of Portland and the other was at a community college that trained nurses teaching anatomy, physiology and nutrition. I didn't put a lot of effort into those applications because I while I was qualified for the jobs and they paid well enough, I wasn't really interested in having the jobs. Teaching in a college setting, is not my thing and I think that job would have been terrible for me. The Asthma job is along the lines of what I'm looking for doing public health type stuff at a city level. It's just that Asthma really isn't my area of expertise.

The jobs that I'm really excited coming up are with the YMCA. I have applied in Marysville (I'm the least excited about that position), Silverdale and Seattle. I enjoyed working for the Y and would like to return to that. I am very well qualified for those positions, but my fear is that they will be taken by someone internal. We'll see.

I'm also excited about jobs with Kaiser and BNSF. I don't know that they are dream jobs, but there is a lot going for them. Both of those jobs paid really well. I just don't know that I want to be in the for-profit sector. That's not really my thing... I don't think.

Oh and I applied for a job with an extension office teaching nutrition and gardening in rural Oregon. I'm REALLY excited about that job. It doesn't pay much, but I have a hunch that it doesn't cost much to live there either. I'm really excited about the job itself and the location.

So many options... It's exciting to think about the future. Until then... I need to work on taxes.

No comments: