Wednesday, March 14, 2007

responses

I've still got a few outstanding questions that I should answer.

Kate, generally fat is stored as fat so it comes into the body in its storage form. it is taken to the liver and then around the body to be deposited, I would say that it is done within minutes, certainly not more than a couple of hours. If you were to eat a fat free diet (which is nearly impossible) you can convert carbohydrates and protein to fat through a process called de novo lipogenisis. I don't know how long this would take, but it isn't very efficient and although it is physiologically possible, your body will normally just burn the carbohydrates and store more fat since we always tend to have a little of that in the diet. I also think that it's important to point out that a fat free diet isn't necessarily a good diet and if you are eating a healthy diet that doesn't contain more calories than you will be expending, you will not store a significant amount of fat.


Veronica asked about weight gain and aging. As people age their basal metabolic rate decreases so you burn fewer calories to maintain life. To avoid weight gain you have to either eat less or exercise more (actually both is the best option). Exercise is important to maintain muscle mass (which decreases with age) and thereby minimize the decreases in metabolic rate. Eat right and you'll be able to maintain a healthy body weight. I should point out that this is easier said than done. We develop eating habits that are hard to change, yet our bodies change requiring that we make some changes.


Vertigo asked about recent milk studies that related milk consumption with weight loss. I've seen them, they do exist. First off, all of the studies included a calorically deficient diet that included milk. With or without milk, if there is a caloric deficiency you will lose weight. I know, they showed that those drinking milk lost more than those who didn't. It's also important to recognize that drinking milk is generally recognized as a healthy behavior because it is associated with drinking less soda. People who follow "healthy" diets also consume more fruits and vegetables and fewer meats and sweets. There's more to this than just milk. It is also important to point out that every study I've seen has been funded by the milk industry in some way which leaves them suspect. I'm not convinced, but I could be wrong. Here's another cartoon from that great site
Taylor and Emily have adopted the diet... Good work. It's hard when your spouse isn't completely on board. The vast majority of Americans could see huge health benefits from changing their diets. They are unwilling for whatever reason. Instead people take all sorts of pills to make them feel better and have more energy, etc. A good diet and regular activity will do that for you at far less cost and it works even better than drugs.
If I missed any questions, let me know.

4 comments:

Trissel said...

Wow, I have so much energy now with the new diet. I get back from lunch and I'm raring to go. Before, I would be sluggish all afternoon and feel like napping.

It is very very interesting how the diet rubs everyone around me. Co-workers make fun of it on business luncheons, and family members don't like it either. Maybe becuase it makes them feel guilty for the way they eat? I just don't know.

Laurel-Anne said...

I read your post on milk, and I thought I'd post my question here since you seem to be in question answering mode.

Do you think it's possible that the pasteurization process affects the milk proteins in some way that may account for the insulin spike? I learned in high school biology (and was reminded by your pressure cooker story) that heat denatures proteins, and since you have determined it is likely a protein thing (as in not lactose and not fat) that causes the spike I immediately wondered about fresh, raw milk.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for answering my question, G! I understand better now. (:

Emily A. said...

Yay! I am glad you are answering questions. I know I have some, but I don't remember what they are at the moment. I just wanted to report that I have been eating fresh fruits and veggies several days in a row, supplemented by nuts and some other things like wheat bread and whole grains, and I REALLY feel better. My body is happier, and I am so glad I can eat things that help me feel good. This morning I ate a crummy breakfast, and I felt irritable until I had an orange and an apple for lunch.
Thanks for giving me the reasons to try to eat better. It IS making a difference! And tell your awesome wife I miss her and I've been thinking of her.