Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Experiences in Parenthood

My wife's little brother is still in town (that is how my brother-in-law is 15) and they came up for lunch today. We were sitting outside enjoying the weather and talking. Naturally the conversation turned to urine and the quantity produced at each occurance.

I was telling my brother-in-law about a study I was in recently. I was instructed to come to the study well hydrated, so I did. Upon arrival I voided my bladder and was then given a bunch of water to drink. I then had to sit for 75 minutes before I voided my bladder again, this time the sample would be collected. After 75 minutes I REALLY had to go. I grabbed the beaker and hurried to the bathroom. I filled the 500 ml beaker and had to cut it off, take the beaker back and ask for another before finishing the process. The conversation continued and we eventually moved on to other, less interesting, topics.

I eventually had to leave my family in order to go to class. I said goodbye and was about to leave when the Mugwump had something to say. He asked, "Daddy, are you going to go cut your penis off again?" I didn't have the foggiest idea what he was talking about, since as far as I knew, I had never cut my penis off before, nor do I have any intentions to cut it off in the future. I thought about it for awhile and eventually my wife had to explain it to me. I then had to explain to a 3 year old that I had never cut my penis off, and that it is an expression used to say that you stopped urinating when you still had to go. I sure hope I didn't mess up my kid for life.

3 comments:

Emily A. said...

Lol! You have a smart kid. Maybe a little too smart. Maybe thats a side effect of no tv...he takes everything literally. He sure makes me think about what I say everyday. I am sure when I have a kid of my own I will be just as suprised when he asks me strange questions like that. lol...thanks for the laughs.

Heffalump said...

Just be happy he didn't say something like that in the middle of his primary class...and don't be surprised if he brings it up again someday. It sure makes you wonder what goes through their heads.

Anonymous said...

What I wanna know is: How did a lunch-time conversation "naturally" turn to urine...?