Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Television

I wanted to post about this last week, but so much came up that I have put it off until now. I came home one evening and heard my wife up using the computer. Along side her my son was watching a movie on our 6 inch portable DVD player, affectionately known as "The Big Screen". We don't own a television, but sometimes on special occasions my son gets to watch a movie on "The Big Screen".

That evening he was watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, you know the one that is really old clay-mation type with the elf that wants to be a dentist, the Abominable Snowman and the Rudolph's nose that appears to be either radio active or powered by a tired hamster in a running wheel. Anyway, I came in the door and said a distant "hi" to my wife and suddenly my son starts screaming in terror. Evidently he was horrified by the snowman with the big teeth. He refused to turn the movie off, but every time he saw the Snowman he yelled in terror. He's really a sensitive little boy.

This isn't the first time this has happened. He has had similar responses to the movies Robots, and Cars. While on the one hand I hope that he grows out of it before he starts watching movies at his friends houses, I sort of like that he is naive and sensitive. Imagine how little violence there would be in the world if all people were as sensitive as my son.

No comments: